Translate

Saturday, February 8, 2014

A love for our art

People have been trying to define love for ages.  The Bible has an interesting chapter of what love is. (1 Corinthians 13). Likewise philosophers such as Nietzsche , Plato as well as a vast majority of the world's religions chime in on what love is and various other ideas of its benefits and repercussions.  However to define the love of one's art is to place it in its own entirely unique category.  It's not an infatuation, and it certainly isn't romantic because its not tangible or palatable.  It seems to me to be a love that is best explained through actions rather than words. So why on earth am I speaking about love?


 
Well the answer is quite easy to grasp if one has ever watched the documentary "Thunder Soul". To summarize this movie would probably do it an injustice but suffice to say that it was truly amazing to see how much of an impact one good, kindhearted man can have on a vast group of people.  The story may seem cliché (inner city, urban, black  high school children with talent become successful later on in their lives because of the good example and hard work ethic of their most influential teacher) but is if far more than that.  You see it wasn't just the fact that this educator was influential, it was the magnitude at which he was influential and also the way it resonated in his community for years that makes this story remarkable. To put it in perspective, when was the last time your high school band was invited to tour in Japan? Needless to say this group was nothing short of spectacular. The name of this group was the Kashmere Stage Band from Kashmere High School in Houston, TX.

 



 
Thunder Soul captured this remarkable story in such a genuine way that its almost hard to believe its a true story.  The name of the band leader was Conrad O. Johnson, who was emphatically knick named "prof" by his students.   


This is a man that put forth effort night and day to help his students succeed and as a future educator I can't help but admire someone like this. To think of the opposition and sweat, blood and tears this man had to endure to achieve what he and his students did is commendable to say the least. Which got me thinking about the question I asked earlier, what really is the purpose of me wondering about love?  The answer at this point must be obvious; because an educator, especially a music educator can achieve great things in his life if he loves his art.  As musicians and educators we love our art so much we want to share it with other people and teach them to make the best music possible so they can share the love we have for music.  What greater gift can one give to another human being than love?

Creating the love however is the challenge.  There are ways this can be done though.  One way is something Mr. Conrad Johnson implemented very well; being able to relate to the students.  In the documentary it was mentioned that one of the reasons the students in this group loved performing so much was because they were able to play a style of music they related to the most.  This music meant the world to them and for them to be able to express it, and at the level that they expressed it at, was truly not only a motivational tool, but also the key that unlocked the door to their love for music.  This music connected them with their peers and their personal beliefs and philosophies. I can think of nothing more effective than this aspect.  From personal experience I can say that it is truly a proud moment as an educator when a student finds they can play a song that actually means something to them, and their faces light up as they look at you in awe and astonishment that they are making sounds that actually hold sentimental value to them.




Another way you can build this love is by helping the students to realize their true potential.  In order to do this a confidence level has to be reached that can only be achieved with proper instruction on their instrument.  I know personally speaking I can learn more about certain instruments, but I would love nothing more than to learn as much as possible about every instrument so that I can teach my students the best way possible to play that instrument. If I can help my students achieve a high level of competency on their respective instruments, I believe I've done my job as well as anyone could ever ask but more importantly I'll have given that student the tools they'll have needed to be successful.  Mr. Johnson was able to provide this resource for his students and that is yet another reason his program was as successful as it was.

Lastly I think the best thing that an educator can do to instill a love for music and performing in their program is to let their students see how much music means to them; how much we love it.  Mr. Johnson was so good at his art that he could've been a big name professional.  This was no amateur.  He mastered his art and it meant everything to him to pass this excellence on to his students.  If our students can see this love and passion for our art it will rub off on them like a contagious virus.  Before long the students will begin to take pride in their work and attempt to be as precise and masterful as their teacher. 

In recapping the title of the blog I simply cannot feel any other way about music. It is truly my passion and my reason for existing in life. I love it with every ounce of spirit in my being.  I know that my students see this but its not because I make a conscious effort to show them, but because it is truly who I am. I hope that my enthusiasm and my love for music encourages them to achieve the same level of excellence I strive for every day.  Maybe one day I too can be as successful as Mr. Conrad O. Johnson, but if I've created a love for music in just one young person's life, then I'll already have achieved the greatest satisfaction of the profession.

2 comments: